I Wrote A Good Omelet Poem, poetry by Nikki Giovanni

Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni Jr. (born June 7, 1943) is an American writer, poet, commentator, activist, and educator. Her work includes poetry anthologies, poetry recordings, and nonfiction essays. Topics range from race and social issues to children's literature. She won numerous awards, including the Rosa Parks and the Langston Hughes Award for Distinguished Contributions to Arts and Letters, the NAACP Image Award, and received twenty honorary doctorates. Giovanni has been nominated for a Grammy Award, for her Nikki Giovanni Poetry Collection. She was also named as one of Oprah Winfrey's twenty-five "Living Legends." She also holds the key to several cities, including Los Angeles, Miami, New York and Dallas.

Nikki Giovanni taught at Rutgers College, Ohio State and Queens College. Currently, she is a University Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech. After the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, she delivered a chant-poem at a memorial for the shooting victims. In the late 1960's, Giovanni gained initial fame as one of the foremost authors of the Black Arts Movement. She was dubbed the "Poet of the Black Revolution" because of your influence by the Civil Rights Era and Black Power Movement. She began writing children's literature during the 1970's, and co-founded NikTom, Ltd a publishing company to provide an outlet for other African-American women writers.

I Wrote A Good Omelet Poem
By Nikki Giovanni

I wrote a good omelet...and ate 
a hot poem... after loving you
Buttoned my car...and drove my 
coat home...in the rain... 
after loving you
I goed on red...and stopped on 
green...floating somewhere in between... 
being here and being there... 
after loving you
I rolled my bed...turned down 
my hair...slightly 
confused but...I don't care...
Laid out my teeth...and gargled my 
gown...then I stood 
...and laid me down...
To sleep... 
after loving you 

Comments